When I heard this title (and Anna says I chose it although my mind is completely blank on that topic) I thought what on earth? The only idea I had was to do Auoura Borealis. I love the beautiful shifting skies however I haven’t seen any since I lived in rural Alberta a very long time ago. In a timely fashion however Alberta Travel distributed a glossy winter travel brochure and included in it were a number of pages of Aurora Borealis providing both colours and shapes for inspiration.
This also gave me a chance to practice thread painting on my Bernina 820. I chose my BSR foot to give me some experience with gaining more control and confidence. I felt that the three layers of the CDA – top fabric, Peltex and backing fabric would give me a firm enough surface to stitch on and I wouldn’t have to hoop it thus giving me more freedom of movement. In most cases that worked nicely although you may see a few pieces that are a bit drawn in on the sides where I got a little carried away with the stitching,
I used Sulky rayon embroidery thread on top, some 30 and some 40 with a bottom cotton 50 weight and an embroidery needle no 90/14[, This worked like a charm and I didn’t have any problem with thread breakage.
I found that I liked the solid colour rayon embroidery thread the best. While I love buying variegated thread I find that it often doesn’t give me the right colour in the right place. Luckily with the free motion I could go back until I reached the same colour repeat and thus build up the colour a bit more. I think that I haven’t discovered just the right application for variegated thread colour. I did use a variegated blue cotton thread for the “binding” stitching on eau CDA.
So progress – What is left is April, Oct and of course Dec. My goal is to be finished all 365 CDA’s on Dec. 31, 2014. 92 to go.